Saturday, August 15, 2015

Volcano Todd's Cajun Seasoning

After a brief hiatus, I'm back with two posts!  Why two?  Well, the first one I need to get out of the way because it plays into many of my future recipes and specifically the second one I'll be posting this evening.  It's my own personal recipe for cajun seasoning.

I've always been a fan of cajun food and spicy stuff in general.  But rather than spend the extra money on someone else's cajun seasoning, I figured I'd try my hand at making my own at a fraction of the cost.  Plus, then you have all the left over ingredients to use individually should the need ever arise.

After some experimentation, a few years ago I found what I consider the best recipe for homemade cajun seasoning.  Be forewarn: it is hot.  That's how I like it.  As such, in any recipe you find here on Pyroclastic Eats that utilizes it, I'll offer my suggested amount for the true Volcano Todd experience.



But if you find your tastes are a bit more delicate than my own, always know that you should season to taste and use less than what I suggest if you want a milder version.  Without further ado, here's how you make Volcano Todd's Cajun Seasoning.

Volcano Todd's Cajun Seasoning Recipe:

 Preparation Time: 5 minutes or less  Yield: About 6 Tablespoons (2 23 cups) 

Ingredients:
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp. white pepper
  • 1 Tbsp + 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 2 tsp. dry mustard
  • 2 1/2 tsp. red cayenne pepper
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 3/4 tsp. dried thyme

Directions:
  1. Mix ingredients.
  2. Enjoy!
    As I hope to demonstrate in many future posts, this seasoning is extremely versatile and can be added to practically anything you want to add some heat to.  Beef, poultry, pork, vegetables, soup, rice, stew, marinade... I'm even experimenting on incorporating it into alcoholic beverages.  For just one example, please check out my next post!

    And as always, please comment with your own thoughts and comments.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment